Until June 2013 the use of an oldtimer with O-license plate was required, confined to test drive within a radius of 25 kilometers, between sunrise and sunset, in the context of a properly authorized manifestation or to travel toward the duly authorized manifestation. Since July 2013 oldtimers are allowed to drive day and night.
This needs no longer to be, within the context of a proper authorized manifestation. Oldtimers are vehicles that have been in use for more than 25 years and who are registered with a license plate whose group starts with a letter "O".
Oldtimers are excluded from the following use since July 1, 2013:
- Commercial use: any use which is intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private financial gain;
- Professional use: any use for the benefit of the profession or business;
- Commuting and home-school movement;
- Paid transport and paid transport of persons treated as free transportation;
- Use as a tool or means as well as work assignments.
For vehicles equipped with caterpillar tracks, the use is limited to classic car events and test drives within a radius of 3 km from the storage location of the vehicle.